Application for Small Grants Policy
Dereham Town Council approves a budget each year for the purpose of allocating grants to local organisations and community groups.
Eligibility – must comply
The following criteria must be met for a group to be considered for a grant:
- The group must be a charity, voluntary or community organisation (not for profit). Individuals and businesses are not eligible for grant funding.
- The group must have a formal Constitution/Terms of Reference and a bank account
- Retrospective grant applications will not be considered.
Purpose of Grants
Applications will be considered for any activity which will be of benefit to some or all of the residents of Dereham or to improve the environment in Dereham. The level of the grant must be commensurate to the benefit gained.
The grant should be towards the cost of events or purchases required for a group and not for running/everyday costs unless it is running costs to assist a new organisation become established. The Town Council will consider any eligible application but where funding is oversubscribed, will prioritise the following:
- Assisting and supporting youth organisations
- To support train and equip people who volunteer as youth leaders
The Council will not give grants for the following:
- Groups or individuals attending events which will give ‘experience’ but not a recognised syllabus/training e.g. gap year or other activities which may be seen as a holiday.
- Application from larger publicly funded organisation e.g. other councils, NHS, schools etc.
- School activity e.g. school trip, sports tour, show etc– however this does not preclude applications for activities taking place on school premises affiliated to a school but with its own constitution, provided that it can be demonstrated to be outside normal school hours & not part of the normal school curriculum.
- Countrywide/countywide groups; unless there is a clear and direct benefit to some residents in Dereham. i.e. the grant is for a specific project or activity in Dereham.
- Applications should be made by completing the Application for Small Grants Form and sending it to Dereham Town Council, Assembly Rooms, Quebec Street, Dereham NR19 2DJ
Applications are accepted at any time of the year and will be considered at the next Finance Meeting (these are held four times a year) and ratified at the following Full Council Meeting. Applicants will be informed of the decision shortly after this meeting.
- Council would not normally consider more than one grant from a group within a twelve month period, unless there is unforeseen exceptional circumstance.
- An acknowledgement on receipt of the grant is required.
- If brochures, leaflets or handouts are produced we would require an acknowledgement of our grant included in this along with our crest (which we will forward to you).
- Prior approval of the Town Council is required for any change of purpose of the grant. The Town Council reserves the right to reclaim any grant not being used for purpose specified on the application form.
Please Note: Grants given are generally less than £500.
This policy was adopted by Dereham Town Council at its meeting on Tuesday 13th August 2013 and will be reviewed on a yearly basis.
If you would like to apply for a small grant, please complete the application form below and return it to us: